Michael D. McCoy Scholarship
This scholarship celebrates advances in the treatment of childhood cancer, St. Jude families, and the history of the St. Jude Run.
Established in 2006 in recognition of the 25th anniversary of the St. Jude Memphis to Peoria Run, the reason behind this scholarship was threefold:
- To honor the progress made by St. Jude since it was established in 1962. Children are being cured at higher rates. One example was in 1962 the cure rate for ALL was less than 5%. Today it is over 90%. Many of these kids are cured and now going to college. This was not possible in 1962.
- To honor family. Once you are involved with St. Jude – as a patient, patient family, or a supporter/donor – you become part of the St. Jude family. In this spirit, current/former patients of the St. Jude Midwest Affiliate and their siblings are eligible to apply.
- To honor Mike McCoy and his tireless work for St. Jude and the Midwest Affiliate. His founding of the Memphis to Peoria Run and the subsequent establishment of satellite runs has brought an awareness of St. Jude and what it has done for hundreds of children and their families. That awareness has grown with the establishment of satellite runs from Chicago to St Louis, Quincy to Champaign, and numerous places in between, as well as a Memphis to Mobile Run in 2010.
- Current or former patient of the St. Jude Midwest Affiliate or a sibling of a current or former patient.
- High school senior or already enrolled in college or an accredited vocational school.
- Maintained a “C” or above average.
- Applicants whose college or vocational school entry or continued enrollment is interrupted by military service will be considered.
Once our selection is approved by the Community Foundation of Central Illinois, the recipient will be notified in early May 2023.
The recipient will be presented at a luncheon in Peoria, hosted by the Community Foundation in mid July 2023.
Recipient(s) will be introduced and have the opportunity to speak to the runners and their guests.
- Please complete an online application following this link: 2023 Michael D. McCoy Scholarship
- Criteria, requirements, mailing address are explained on the application.
- Applications are due by Friday, March 10th, 2023.
- Questions may be addressed to: Doug Valentine at 309-678-8158 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply today! 2023 Michael D. McCoy Scholarship Application