2020 Michael D. McCoy Scholarship
$1,000 Scholarship in celebration of advances in the treatment of childhood cancer, St. Jude families and 38 years of the St. Jude Run.
We decided that a scholarship fund should be established in 2006 when we were looking to do something special for the 25th anniversary of the Memphis to Peoria St. Jude Run. The reason behind this was threefold.
- To honor the progress made by St. Jude since it was established in 1962. Children are being cured at higher rates. One example was in 1962 the cure rate for ALL was less than 5%. Today it is over 90%. Many of these kids are cured and now going to college. This was not possible in 1962.
- To honor family. Once you are involved with St. Jude, being a patient, patients families, or just a supporter/donor you become part of the St. Jude family. So siblings of patients or former patients of the St. Jude Midwest Affiliate are eligible to apply.
- To honor Mike McCoy and his tireless work for St. Jude and the Midwest Affiliate. His founding of the Memphis to Peoria Run and the subsequent establishment of satellite runs has brought an awareness of St. Jude and what it has done for hundreds of children and their families. That awareness has grown over the years with the establishment of satellite runs from Chicago to St Louis, Quincy to Champaign, and numerous places in between, as well as a Memphis to Mobile Run in 2010.
- Current or former patient of the St. Jude Midwest Affiliate or a sibling of a current or former patient.
- High school senior or already enrolled in college or an accredited vocational school.
- Maintained a “C” or above average.
- Applicants whose college or vocational school entry or continued enrollment is interrupted by military service will be considered.
Once our selection is approved by the Community Foundation of Central Illinois, the recipient will be notified in early May 2020.
The recipient will be presented at a luncheon in Peoria, hosted by the Community Foundation in July 2020.
Recipient(s) will be invited to the runner send off in Memphis, TN., on Tuesday and Wednesday July 14 & 15, 2020. They will be introduced and have the opportunity to speak to the runners and their guests.
- Available at the St. Jude Midwest Affiliate, or the St. Jude Development Office at 4722 N. Sheridan. Peoria, IL, 309.679.4580, or online at St. Jude Runs
- Criteria, requirements, mailing address are explained on the application.
- Applications are due by Friday, March 28th, 2020.
- Send to Mollie Shepherdson, Regional Market Director, St. Jude Runs, 4722 N. Sheridan Road Peoria, IL. 61614
- Questions may be addressed to: Vic Reed at 309.692.1163 (H) or 309.264.4893 (M) or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or Shirley Meils at 309.645.7737 (M) or e-mail at email@example.com